That’s right today is the final day of 2018, I know I cannot believe it either. Where did the year go? I’ve had many ups and down, and felt defeated many times. I’ve also had moments of clarity and brilliance. From starting my homestead Instagram page, to creating this blog, and finally ordering my DNA kit from ancestry. I started my vegan journey in 2018, it has been a hard journey from meat eater for 32 year to vegan. Not even going to lie, it’s been really hard, I’ve had times when I’ve caved, but I’ve had times when I was stronger than I thought.
So lets talk goals for 2019, do you have any? Here are my top three goals.
- Go fully vegan from year beginning to year end, and so on and so forth.
- Eat more plant based and less meat substitute based.
- Bring my home into full Eco friendly status – within reason
So what do my goals mean exactly?
Simply I will not eat meat or dairy from 2019 on. I want to plant gardens and maintain them properly. I may take a class on gardening to help reach this goal. I’m going to get a compost bin instead of just using a hole in my yard, yes I currently use a hole in my yard to throw scraps into. Sometimes I just throw veggie/fruit/ bread and other non meat or dairy scraps into my yard for the animals to eat. I also want to get rid of the rest of my plastic in my home. I want to figure out another way to throw trash away that doesn’t consist of using a plastic bag. Most importantly for my health I’m going to try my hardest to stop eating processed meat substitutes. This doesn’t include tofu (because I’m not crazy), seitan, or tempeh. I also want to branch out and try other fruits and vegetables I haven’t before.
Now to the things I’ve accomplished in 2018
- I’ve removed disposable plates and cups.
- I no longer buy pasta sauce in plastic containers
- I no longer buy spices in plastic
- I no longer buy sandwich bags or paper towels
- I stops using store bought laundry soap
- I stopped buying water jugs
- I started buying in bulk
- I no longer use bags if I forget mine in the truck
- I removed 99.9999 percent of harsh chemicals from my home
- I bought a water filter for my kitchen sink
- We stopped using the Kerig and just use a regular coffee pot
I’m sure there is more but that’s all my foggy brain can think of at this moment.
So I will be sending 2018 out with doing less damage to the environment, not having part in the killing of animals, not taking baby animals away from their mamas, and not drinking/using the milk of cows. I look forward to a fantastic 2019, hoping it brings opportunity with it. I’m excited to find out what my true DNA is, and possibly finding my real father or relatives. Hopefully losing the last 40 pound or so I need to lose. Possibly exercising more, can’t promise anything there. Vegan is the future and I fully support it with every being of my human body. Love thy self and love thy body.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”