Basically the title says it all.. We have been dealing with crappy colds since before Christmas. Last weekend it escalated into a full blown ear infection for Keira. She has been on antibiotics now for four days. I took Valletta to the doctor this afternoon, thankfully no ear or chest infections, but her cough is nasty. She spiked a fever tonight before bed. With this all happening I’m being forced to use stronger medications, like Advil and store brand mucinex. I hate using any thing like this, but I will IF needed.
I am a homeopathic mom, so when I have to use these kinds of medications I feel awful. I know non of these are good for my children in the long run, unfortunately nothing I have on hand is working well enough. I am however going to start rebuilding the good bacteria in their guts when this is all said and done. Probiotics will be our best friend after these colds get outta here!!
So tonight I decided I needed to get some veggies into them, they are not veggie eaters at all. I decided to make “hidden veggie mac and cheese”. Of course it was vegan. They absolutely loved it, and ate most of what I gave them. Then they saw the cookies, and wanted some. So I gave them two cookies each. Below is the recipe for the vegan hidden veggie mac and cheese.
You will need:
2 carrots peeled and cut into pieces
2 white potatoes peeled and cut into pieces
2 cups cauliflower cut into pieces
1 cup butternut squash
1 cup unsweetened original coconut or nut milk
1.5 cups cheddar shreds
1/2 cup mozzarella shreds
1 packet of (boxed) vegan cheese powder
salt to taste
2 cups dried pasta of choice
a blender or food processor – I used my food processor
- Peel and cut all veggies, put them into a sauce pan with water, and boil until fork tender.
- Once veggies are tender enough, drain the water. Let sit for a few minutes on the counter, with the lid off. This allows the veggies to cool a bit before adding them into the blender or food processor.
- Okay now come the most difficult part, and somewhat scary. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS PART. ALWAYS BE CAUTIOUS OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
- In batches scoop veggies into your device of choice. Remember I used the processor. So for me I did this in two batches. I put each batch into a bowl after pureeing. Scoop the first batch into the processor, and lid it. Puree until smooth, scraping the sides down half way through. This usually takes 3-5 minutes per batch. Put into a bowl and do the next batch the same way.
- Place puree back into the sauce pan, add milk of choice, and the vegan cheese powder. Bring to a light simmer. Add the cheddar shreds and whisk to combine. Keep whisking until it is smooth. Add the last of the shreds, whisk again until smooth.
- Taste – taste – taste, add salt – as little as you can. Taste again!! Always taste your food.
Mantra I live by – If I wouldn’t eat it, I will not feed it to my children.
If your cheese sauce is seasoned well, and acceptable to your taste buds set it aside. Boil your pasta according to the package instructions.
Once pasta is done add sauce, and fold it in. You don’t need to add it all at once. I added enough to coat my pasta then I severed it to the girls. I added more sauce after. Place it into a nonstick baking pan, topped with dairy-free bread crumbs, and a touch of oil and salt. I baked that until it was nice and bubbly. set aside to cool.
Sever when ready and enjoy.